Thursday 19 November 2015

6 Hotels to Consider When Planning Your Next Trip to Tallinn

It's always a great joy to visit the beautiful city of Tallinn and one way to ensure your trip is a happy and memorable one is to pick the right hotel. There are many charming hotels in Tallinn, each with their own unique style and features. Accommodation and services do vary in Tallinn but there's sure to be one that appeals to your individual taste and budget.

For me, I always used to stay at the Old House Apartments in Tallinn until one day I discovered they were fully booked and had to seek an alternative. This came as a blessing in disguise because since then I have experienced some lovely hospitality in Tallinn. I prefer hotels with history and character and Tallinn certainly has no shortage of those.  I always love that heart-warming moment when you open the door to your hotel room for the very first time and get the wow factor. It's always a great start to the perfect holiday.


This is a truly lovely hotel, I stayed here for the first time in July. I have to admit that I have walked past this hotel so many times thinking it might be at the higher end of the price scale but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was not.  I found My City Hotel to be good value for money with modern, elegant rooms and good facilities. I highly recommend it.


An old favourite, I have been staying here since I first visited Estonia with my family in 2003. The Old House does not only offer stylish well-appointed apartments but they also have a guest house and hostel too. Every budget is catered for which is why the Old House has such appeal.


Estonians love their saunas as do visitors when they come to Tallinn. The Meriton Grand is a great place to stay if you want to enjoy the sights of charming Tallinn combined with a relaxing spa holiday.  I have stayed at The Meriton Grand several times and have enjoyed some of their facilities which include - spa, swimming pool, sauna, beauty salon and gym etc. There is also a Russian restaurant and French patisserie on the premises for you to enjoy a good meal.  


If you want to experience a hotel with character then a stay at the St.Olav Hotel is a must, The rooms are nicely decorated but a bit on the small side. However, that doesn't matter because it's what's outside your room that you will find most fascinating. The hotel is full of charming hallways, corridors and stairwells which instantly makes you want to explore. Don't be surprised to walk to your room and find guests photographing the corridors because everyone finds this hotel truly delightful!


Located in the heart of the Tallinn, the Tallink Hotel is a great place to stay if you want to be in the centre of it all. This a large modern hotel with all you would expect for its size - the breakfast service is excellent with plenty of choice and there is never a shortage of taxis parked outside to take you wherever you wish to go. All the sights are a short walking distance from this hotel which is sure to please guests.  


If you are a budget-conscious traveller preferring to spend more money being out and about than on your hotel room, then Hotel Metropol might be the place for you. This hotel is very popular with tour groups so don't be surprised to find large groups here. I stayed here once in 2012 and had somewhat of an interesting experience. I found the staff all very nice. the reception area, bar and restaurant all looked great but when I walked up to my room and opened my door I couldn't help but exclaim 'oh, no'. The room looked like it hadn't been renovated since the 1980s and I didn't like the fact that there was no carpet on the floor. On the positive side, the room was large but unfortunately the TV was not (I love to watch Estonian TV!). In the evening the sound carried upstairs from the bar making it a little difficult to sleep but I guess if you are a party-goer this might not bother you.