Wednesday 26 July 2017

Estonian vocabulary for your next trip to Tallinn

The Estonian language is beautiful but can be quite tricky to pronounce. To help you during your next trip to Tallinn, Visit Tallinn has put together this very useful list of Estonian phrases. They're sure to come in handy!


Short summer vocabulary

Basics
Hi  - Tere
How are you? - Kuidas läheb?
Good - Hästi
I’m on a holiday - Olen puhkusel.
I like summer. - Mulle meeldib suvi.
I like it here - Mulle meeldib siin.

Weather
Lovely weather - Ilus ilm
Sun is shining - Päike paistab.
It’s cloudy today - Täna on pilvine.
It is raining - Sajab.
I like thunder and rain - Mulle meeldib äike ja vihm.
Stormy sea is awesome! - Tormine meri on äge!
Winter is coming - Talv tuleb.

Food
Two scoops of ice-cream please - Kaks palli jäätist palun.
Chocolate - Šokolaad
Vanilla - Vanilje
Two more please - Kaks veel palun
Strawberry - Maasikas
Blueberry - Mustikas
Let's have a BBQ - Grillime
Shashlik - Šašlõkk
Burger - Burger
Beer - Õlu
Party - Pidu

Activities
I want to ride my bicycle - Tahan rattaga sõita.
Let’s rent bikes and ride by the seaside - Laenutame rattad ja sõidame mere ääres.
I’m going to the Pirita beach - Ma lähen Pirita randa.
I want to swim with the locals - Tahan kohalikega koos ujuda.
Let’s climb the towers of Old Town! - Ronime vanalinna tornides!
I’m afraid of heights - Ma kardan kõrgust.
Don’t be afraid - Ära karda.
I’ll hold your hand - Ma hoian sul käest kinni.
Let’s walk in Kadriorg park - Lähme jalutame Kadrioru pargis.
Will you come with me? - Kas sa tuled ka minuga?
We’re relaxing - Me tšillime.
We’re hanging out - Me hängime.

Source: Short summer vocabulary for your Tallinn trip